My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://burrintheburgh.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, February 02, 2007

Proverbs of John Lennon

I just visited the wonderful new public library in downtown Fort Wayne, IN. And, as expected, came home with a bag of books. I've been wanting to read a biography of John Lennon for some time and in searching for one, I came across a collection of his sayings. Here is one that immediately struck home for me:

Part of me suspects that I'm a loser, and the other part of me thinks I'm God Almighty.

At their best, artists assist humanity in understanding reality. Here John gives us all a helping hand. I think many many (if not all) people have this same dual consciousness, the feeling that one is worthless AND the feeling that one is the center of the universe. When you understand that this is the basic modus operandi of most people, it really helps you know how to apply God's Word to their lives.

Part of you needs to be comforted and assured of God's love and His kindness toward sinners. But the other part of you needs a swift kick in the britches.

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Kelly Klages said...

That particular Lennon quote might be in reference to the line in "Strawberry Fields Forever" -- "No one I think is in my tree / I mean it must be high or low." At least he's expressed that same sentiment about that verse, that he thinks he's either crazy or a genius.

New Curriculum at Concordia Theological Seminary