My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://burrintheburgh.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Your Decision-Making Process

I'm doing some serious thought these days on topics related to bio-ethics. And this afternoon, I've been pondering the internal process involved in making a tough ethical decision. Tell me, if you are faced with a difficult ethical decision - such as the Terri Schiavo case - which of these factors are most important in how you arrive at a decision:

  • How will this affect me?
  • Will I be burdened or inconvenienced?
  • What do I want?
  • What do I think the person would want?
  • What is the financial cost?
  • Does God's Word provide any guidance?
  • Is one decision more in line with traditional Christian living?
You see, I think Dr. Richard Eyer is correct in his little book: Holy People, Holy Lives: Law and Gospel in Bioethics. He writes that people today usually think in terms of what is practical and/or what do I want. In other words, they make decisions according to whether it is pragmatically and emotionally satisfying instead of which course of action most reflects the mind of Christ as revealed in Scripture and 2 millenia of Christian reflection.

Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This should not really be surprising, since many who call themselves "Christian" are woefully
lacking in Scriptural knowledge and many simply don't care to learn. So....they will follow what's left: their sinful nature!

VirginiaLutherans said...

Unfortunately I have to agree with Carl. Too many people are like the weeds in the gravel- they spring up quickly, then fall back. The only question you should ask is "What does God's Word say?" Everything falls out of that.

New Curriculum at Concordia Theological Seminary