My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit
http://burrintheburgh.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, September 05, 2008

Why I Support the McCain - Palin Ticket

John McCain has never been my favorite Republican. I haven't always agreed with him on every issue. I'm not a hard right-winger or anything. I really don't like Rush Limbaugh (oooooooh). I am definitely no Libertine, uh, I mean Libertarian.

I believe in fiscal responsibility, but I am not voting primarily on the economy. As I understand it, human governments are instituted by God primarily to protect us. One of the few real reasons we need a federal government is to raise and command armed forces.

That's how God protects us on a national scale. The armed forces. In a more personal sense, God protects us through legislature, courts and law enforcement.

And here is where the rubber hits the road for me. If you and I cannot agree on the definition of "human being," we've got problems. How can a man deny that a human zygote or a fetus deserves to be protected? Even a mangy dog will protect his pregnant bitch. Even a goose will become aggressive if you approach her eggs. In other words, denying the humanity of an unborn child is contrary to natural law. And everyone knows it.

A leader who will not agree that it is his/her divine calling to defend every person in his realm, the aged, the ill, and in utero is both self-deluded and dangerous.

What is a human being? If you don't know or are not sure, then you are not qualified to govern.

I believe that John McCain and Sarah Palin know what a human being is. And they know it would be their responsibility to protect all Americans.

Sphere: Related Content

6 comments:

wrmyers said...

Couldn't agree with you more. Last year my then 7 year old grandson raised some vegetables by starting them in a little see through container that looked very much like an ant farm. He clearly saw, and commented on, the "infant" plant growing long before it was visible above ground. This most basic gift of life must be recognized, and protected. We too will be supporting McCain/Palin.

Jane said...

I'm right there with you, Scott.

Rev. James Leistico said...

"Even a goose will become aggressive if you approach her eggs."

interesting that such an illustration would come to an author who lives on the Ft. Wayne campus (or should I say, "such an illustration would come AFTER an author..."?)

Anonymous said...

That is my opinion too, I choose a candidate first by what their stance is on Life, and then I proceed from there.

Anonymous said...

I'll be voting for pro-life libertarian Bob Barr. There's no way I'd ever vote for neocon nut John McInsane.

Josh Osbun said...

I have a new favorite quote. "Even a mangy dog will protect his pregnant bitch." I doubt I would brazen enough to use it from the pulpit, but it is a very frank and vivid representation of the value of life in nature.

I am glad to see that determining what constitutes a human life is not above your pay grade as it is apparently above Obama's. (If you haven't seen clips of his time at Saddleback check out the videos linked on my Facebook site, or just do a search on YouTube.)

Great post!

New Curriculum at Concordia Theological Seminary